Eurocontrol has reported that air traffic in February 2019 increased by 3.0% compared to February 2018 and was in line with the baseline forecast.
Seven states added more than 50 flights daily to the network with Germany, Spain and Italy as the top contributors.
En route ATFM delays (12,055 min/daily) increased by 46.6% and airport ATFM delays (13,965 min/daily) increased by 15.8% compared to February 2018.
There were, on average, 253 daily flights with an en route ATFM delay of at least 15 minutes (+42.9% compared to February 2018).
- High en route capacity and staffing delays in Karlsruhe UAC
- Low visibility and strong winds impacted operations at several airports
- Airport capacity issues at Istanbul/Atatürk airport.
Forecast 2019 – 2025
The latest seven-year forecast (2019 – 2025) from Eurocontrol predicts 12.7 million IFR flight movements in Europe in 2025; this is 15% more than in 2018. The flight growth rate for 2019 is forecast to be 2.8%.
In the latest edition of the Industry monitor Eurocontrol speaks about:
- European flights increased by 3.0% in January 2019 compared with January 2018. For 2018 as a whole, total flights in Europe rose 3.8%. Preliminary data for February show average daily flights up 2.4% on February 2018
- New seven-year forecast (2019-2025) predicts 12.7 million IFR flight movements in Europe in 2025; this is 15% more than in 2018. The flight growth rate for 2019 is forecast to be 2.8%
- Brent crude oil prices climbed to a monthly average of €57 per barrel in February from €53 per barrel in January.
Download the February edition of the Industry Monitor to learn more.